Glengarry Pioneer Museum

Step off the beaten path, between Ottawa and Montreal, and discover the magic of the Glengarry Pioneer Museum for yourself.

Opened in 1962, the Glengarry Pioneer Museum consists of several nineteenth century log heritage buildings and artifacts. The museum's o

riginal structure started life as MacIntosh's Store in the 1840s. It then became the Star Inn, a stagecoach stop in the 1860s. It is this period that the inn is furnished to reflect...including the original barroom, believed to be one of the oldest in Eastern Ontario.

Open a new window to view the Glengarry Pioneer Museum website. The Glengarry Pioneer Museum is located at 1645 County Road 30, R.R.#1 Dunvegan, ON K0C 1J0

Phone: (613) 527-5230

Email the Glengarry Pioneer Museum

 

 Harvest Fall Festival    Harvest Fall Festival_Sheep Shearing Harvest Fall Festival

  

War of 1812 Re-enactment

War of 1812 Re-enactment  War of 1812 Re-enactment

General Information on the Museum:

The Glengarry Pioneer Museum first opened in 1962 under the auspices of the Glengarry Historical Society. Its stated mandate was to preserve and display the artifacts and history of the early Glengarry settlers including the Native North Americans, the Scots and the French. The museum is open for viewing Tuesday to Sunday 10 - 5. 

The Pioneer Museum includes a miniature Pioneer Village comprised of seven buildings:

  • The Star Inn is the oldest bar in Ontario, and once served as a hospice on the Montreal-Ottawa stagecoach line.
  • The Livery Shed was integral to the stagecoach route allowing drivers to change horses.
  • The Roxborough Township Hall saw active service as a municipal building until moving to the Museum site in 1985.
  • The pioneer vintage Cheese Factory from Lancaster is representative of the many like factories that once dotted the Glengarry landscape.
  • Olivier Hamelin's Blacksmith Shop from Apple Hill has a long history and, indeed, Olivier Hamelin was the last working full-service Blacksmith in Glengarry.
  • The Museum has two barns: 1) the Campbell Barn which houses the Museum's agricultural artifacts 2) the Stewart Barn, home to the Museum's winter collection.
  • The Trappers cabin Angus MacRae's
  • The Laggan one room school
  • The Orange Lodge
  • The William's Pavillon (for community use, events, etc)

Contact Us