Burn Permits

Fire By-Law Information Points

IMPORTANT NOTE: The information below is a summary of some key points in our Open Air Fire By-law but is not a complete list. Please refer to the complete By-Law (#24-2017) for details:

Open a new page to download By-Law # 24-2017 

  • Open air fires and agricultural land clearing requires a permit - see Part 4 & 5. Burning in settlement area boundaries are not permitted.
  • Burning in a burn barrel or a receptacle does require a permit - see Part 6. Burning in settlement area boundaries are not permitted.
  • Recreational fires require a permit and must meet all conditions below:

                a) Flame base must be less than 1 square meter.

                b) Must be located not less than 5 meters from any type of structure or property line.

                c) Must not create a nuisance to other property owners.

                d) Only dry, clean wood or charcoal shall be burned.

                e) Except in rural or agricultural zones, the fire must be completely covered with a spark guard.

  • Any cost associated with the Fire Department in extinguishing a fire will be levied against the property owner. 

Applying for a Burn Permit

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your application could take up to a full business day to be processed so be sure that you complete the form at least 24 hrs in advance. Permits required for a weekend should be submitted by Thursday at the latest to ensure your request is handled on time.

Should you require a Burn Permit please open an new window to download the Application for Burn Permit

You will be contacted within 24 hrs advising you of the status of your application.

NOTE: If you have any further questions regarding burn permits, please contact our office at 613-525-1110. Please be aware that while our reception staff can give you general information, they are unable to approve permits. They will take your information and a member of our by-law department will contact you as soon as possible.

Contact Us